Sankt (Saint) Johann Tirol
Sankt Johann in Tirol is located in the North Eastern part of the
province, in a broad valley between the mountains of the "Wilder
Kaiser" and the "Kitzbühler Horn", in the district of Kitzbühel and has
The municipality of Saint Johann consits of following villages:
Almdorf, Apfeldorf, Bärnstetten, Berglehen, Fricking, Hinterkaiser,
Mitterndorf, Niederhofen, Oberhofen, Reitham, Rettenbach, Scheffau,
Sperten, Taxa, Weiberndorf, Weitau, Winkl Schattseite, and Winkl
The region around Sankt Johann in Tirol was colonized by the Celtic
tribe of the Ambisontians in the year 400 BC. Already in the 8th
century (probably before 738) missionaries of the Christian religion
came to the place and built up a baptistery which was dedicated to
Saint John the baptist. The church was mentioned the first time quite
late in the year 1150.
Saint Johann in Tirol was connected into the international railway
network in 1875 and an economical upswing was the result. The tourism
started in Saint Johann.
The village has an airfield for motor planes and gliders. This is the second biggest air field in Tirol.
Tourism is the most important income source of Sankt Johann in Tirol.
520.000 overnight stays are quite constant shared on the summer and
winter tourism. Saint Johann in Tirol offers with hotels, camping
sites, restaurants and night clubs a rich range. Everything the tourist
The ski resort of Sankt Johann in Tirol has 10 drag-ski-lifts, 10
chairlifts, and two cable cars. The longest ski run has a distance of 7
The beer of St Johann: Huber Brau.